Thursday, July 23, 2009

A WEIGHTY TOPIC

Dear Friends,

I hope you didn't think I'd forgotten you. No, far from it; just traveling and recruiting a bit.

Lately I read that 34.3% of Americans are obese, and, whereas I've never gathered any data, mere inspection suggests that, whatever the actual tally, a huge proportion of us are huge.

Relatedly, from news photos and advertisements by charitable organizations, the foreign poor are generally pitiable skeletons covered by a tightly stretched casing of skin, while the poverty-stricken of the U.S. are frequently veritable blimps. The only explanation I can adduce from this disparity is that here fatty and carbohydrate-laden foods must be almost gratis.

It follows then that it would cost us very little to donate stores of these cheap calories to zones of starvation and thereby save lives.

What do you think? Is there a fallacy in that?

Y.C.

No comments: